How To Treasurer A School Fundraiser PTSA Event
Needed to complete this task successfully, two PTSA members will need to be available to participate in a kick off for the fundraiser meeting, and to count money together at the end of the fundraiser.
There should ALWAYS be two people counting the money.
Keep copies of the order forms for your records. Sometimes one comes with the order forms for you to keep. If not, make a copy.
1. Coordinate with the fundraiser chair and the second treasurer:
- Find out the date for the end of the fundraiser.
- Ask where the fundraiser’s order forms with money will be turned in.
- Find out who is the PTSA Treasure; this will be the person to turn the money into at the end of the fundraiser.
- Collect needed materials for turning the order forms in:
- Shipping-envelope for returning order forms
- Manila-envelope for keeping copies of the order forms for your records
- Paper for tracking extra or missing money
- 2 Deposit forms
- Arrange times with the second treasurer for counting money at the end of the fundraiser
2. Collect the fundraiser order forms with their money:
- Pick up the order forms with their money for four days following the end of the fundraiser:
- Day 1: once at lunch time and once at the end of the school day
- Day 2 & 3: at the end of the day
- Day 4: pick up the last of the forms, and count the money
NOTE: All money must be held in the PTSA safe at the school. Two PTSA members must be present when handling the money.
3. Count the money for each form:
NOTE: To make it easier, consider counting the money as it comes in.
- Tally all the items.
- Check that the items were added correctly at the bottom.
- Tally the price for all the items.
- Make sure the totals matched at the bottom of the order form.
- Count the money that was included with the order form.
- Check that your total for the money they sent in matches your total for the price of all the items.
- NOTE: sometimes parents add wrong at the end. Check the money agenst your totals not the parents.
- If there is any extra money or missing money see step 6.
- Document where the checks came from.
- On each check, write the students full name and their teacher’s name.
4. Deposit the money:
- Fill out one of the deposit forms and make sure both treasurers sign it.
- Meet up with the PTSA treasurer and hand over the deposit form, money, and a copy of the documentation of the extra/missing money.
5. Send in the Order forms:
- Keep a copy of each of the order forms.
- Put the copies and a copy of the documentation of extra/lack of money in the Manila-envelope you received at the beginning.
- If a carbon copy did not come with the order forms, make a copy for your records.
NOTE: If there is any problems with the orders when they are picked up by parents you will want these forms to rely on.
- If there is still a form with missing money see step 6.
- Seal the order forms in the return envelope that you received at the beginning of the fundraiser.
- Mail them with the required mailing facilities (FedEx, UPS, ect)
6. If money was missing or an order was received late:
- When there is missing money with the order form:
- Document any extra money or lack of money on the paper for tracking missing/extra money.
- Include the full name of the student, what was missing/extra, and what was the payment (i.e. 2 twenties and a check for 36$)
- Contact the parents and arrange for drop off of any missing money.
- When there is still missing money and it is time to turn in the order forms:
- If there is still an order form with missing money do not send in that order form with the rest.
Note: There is a three-day to a week grace period depending on the company you work with to get any straggling forms faxed in
- Continue to try and get in contact with the parents to receive the
- When it is time to fax in all the straggling forms:
- Count the money and check that it is all there.
- Cross off any order that has not been paid for on the form.
- Keep a copy at the top of your copy pile in the Manila-envelope.
- Turn the money and a new deposit slip in to the PTSA treasurer.
- Fax in the order forms.
Now that you have completed your job as Fundraiser Treasurer, please fill out an End of Event form and turn it, and the Manila-envelope, in to the fundraising Chair. Thank you for supporting your PTSA.